Benefits of Testosterone Therapy
As men age, their bodies are in need of higher levels of hormones. We naturally begin to stop producing normal levels of many hormones, including testosterone. Many men today replace the level of hormone lost with Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) and find themselves back on track!
The many benefits of testosterone therapy are incredible and the treatment may just be right for you. What should one expect from TRT? Well, to tell you what you can absolutely expect would be wrong and this is because every man on planet earth is different in some way or another from the next.
As cliche as it sounds, we are truly and internally, unique. The way hormone treatment is going to effect one being may be the direct opposite of another. However, many who have used the treatment report strengthened energy levels, sex drive, an increase in bone density, muscle mass and sometimes even an increased insulin sensitivity-which could be a benefit to those with diabetes, or help reduce the risk of the disease for those who still have functioning pancreases. Other illnesses that testosterone deficiency is linked to exist! For example, prevalence of osteoporosis in men deficient with testosterone is double that of those with normal levels.
How fast are benefits of testosterone therapy?
Again, all of us are different. While some men report almost immediate alleviation, others notice the change very gradually and in few cases, not at all. The quickest symptoms that seem to change in patients is an improvement in mood, which is reported most often.
Whether or not any benefits of testosterone therapy is barely noticeable or a major boost is entirely individualized. Estimations by physicians and scientists predict about one in ten men are "ecstatic" on how their treatment is assimilating to their bodies. However, about the same number of men do not seem to identify much of a change at all. Although responses to the risks or benefits of testosterone therapy are varying, generally patients see it all as a positive. Perhaps this is because one of the best benefits of testosterone therapy is the idea of longevity. No, we can't promise you a life forever-but we can help make the rest of your life feel as though it were brand new.
Testosterone Therapy Benefits List
As the primary male sex hormone, testosterone is what makes men – deep voice, large muscles, more facial and body hair. Testosterone is secreted by special cells in the testicles as well as a small amount from the adrenal glands, but as men age, testosterone levels gradually diminish. The resulting symptoms have led scientists to consider the health benefits of testosterone replacement therapy.
In addition to the obvious physical characteristics, testosterone is what drives puberty, causing the genitals to grow. The hormone also drives the male libido and affects the ability to have an erection. It promotes bone strength and the production of red blood cells, and affects mood and cognition. Low testosterone can lead to loss of lean muscle mass and increased body fat. Testosterone levels typically begin to fall when men reach their 40s, dropping an average of one percent per year. Somewhere between two and six million men in the US may have low testosterone.
Health Benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Testosterone therapy benefits can affect the entire body. A sub-therapeutic testosterone level has wide-ranging effects.
Among the possible testosterone therapy benefits for men with low testosterone levels:
- Improved libido – testosterone affects the sex drive, and when it is low, men may lose interest in sexual activity.
- Improved mood – hormonal levels affect the brain and emotions as well as physical aspects of health. Low testosterone levels have been linked to depression and anxiety.
- Improved cognition – like moods, the ability to think clearly and remember well are affected by hormone levels. When testosterone is low, many men report difficulties in cognition.
- Increases muscle mass – testosterone is well-known for affecting muscle mass, which is why body-builders think it can be used to increase muscle. Such use is not recommended, but in older men with low testosterone, increasing muscle mass is one of the benefits of testosterone therapy.
- Better bone density – both men and women can lose bone mass as they age. In women, bone loss is triggered by shifting estrogen levels, while in men it is related to low testosterone. Testosterone may help prevent osteoporosis (thinning bones) which can lead to fractures.
- Improved red blood cell production – adequate testosterone is of paramount importance to red blood cell production. Anemia can result in fatigue due to lack of oxygen at the cellular level. One of the health benefits of testosterone therapy is to correct anemia.
- Correct erectile dysfunction – low testosterone levels can impair a man's ability to have or maintain an erection. Testosterone therapy may help resolve this issue.
Many of the symptoms of low testosterone are subtle and can be attributed to other health issues such as medication side effects or overwork. A thorough medical work up and blood testing can confirm the diagnosis. Testosterone should only be used at the recommendation of a doctor and with a prescription. At Wellness MGT, we offer testosterone as well as other prescription hormones for both men and women. Contact us today for more information.
I want benefits of testosterone therapy
First and foremost, we are as eager as you are to help yourself connect back to your fountain of youth! However, it must be said that physicians should consult their patients regarding testosterone replacement therapy-specifically speaking-the benefits and risk, as these things are often times subjective. The successful management of testosterone replacement therapy will require the appropriate evaluation and awareness of all risks and/or benefits of the treatment from your primary care physician. Rejuvenating the playful and youthful side of your soul is a wonderful journey when done correctly. It can improve many effects of hypogonadism.
Beneficial effects on your mood, energy levels, sense of well-being, sexual function, lean body mass, muscle strength, erythropoiesis, bone mineral density (BMD), cognition, and even benefits on cardiovascular risk factors are all available if you are deficient of testosterone. All of these life changing benefits are bundled together and offered through testosterone replacement therapy, which in the United States, has had a substantial increase since 1993 (more than 500%) in prescription sales of testosterone products.